Fall celebrations include Hispanic Heritage Month AND Oktoberfest!
One of the best ways to market your book is by paying attention to the seasons, holidays, and events that dovetail with your book’s mission and/or message.
We’ve covered lots of these in the past:
- the Superbowl
- Leap Day
- Mardi Gras
- International Women’s Day – this was our most viewed post ever!
- St. Patrick’s Day
- Cinco de Mayo
- World Penguin Day – yes, we really did a post about this!
- July 4th – Independence Day in the US
- Columbus Day
If your book has a natural tie-in to a day-/week-/month-long celebration, play up that connection! Here are just a few ideas:
- Offer a special promotion.
- Use graphics related to that day on your blog or social media pages.
- Do some research and offer some little-known or humorous facts about the season, holiday, or event.
We’ve just entered October, so the book marketing opportunities are plentiful.
- In some parts of the country, Oktoberfest is still (or just getting) underway. Why not host a contest for the best photo of someone in lederhosen holding/reading your book?
- Hispanic Heritage Month runs from Sept. 15 through Oct. 15. Who and where are your Hispanic connections? If it’s a fit for your book, celebrate this month by offering a discount to members of your local Hispanic Chamber.
- And, of course, the big daddy of them all: HALLOWEEN. If your book is horror or suspense themed, this is probably a no-brainer. But let’s think a little creatively for a minute. How about throwing an impromptu book signing party? Sharing an old family recipe for popcorn balls or candied apples? Offering craft ideas related to books or your characters or message?
All you have to do is begin to look for the opportunities, and you’ll find them peeking out from the most surprising – and obvious – places.
Have ideas we haven’t mentioned – or things you’ve tried that have worked? PLEASE share them with us in the comments section!
Here’s to a brilliant fall and more successful book marketing!
We welcome and encourage your thoughtful, courteous comments below.
PHOENIX-AREA BOOK LOVERS: Come out to meet me and 50+ other local authors for this one-of-a-kind book lovers’ event. Several first-time authors, award-winning authors, and authors of a wide variety of genres will be on hand to sell and sign books. Genres of all sorts – from fiction to spirituality to leadership to personal finance. The first 200 attendees to register will receive goody bags! Giveaways on the half-hour. Learn more and get your complimentary ticket at HolidayAuthorEvent.com.