Is your book a word-of-mouth worthy PURPLE COW?
OK, I’ll admit this one sounds obvious … but every single time I’ve thought something was so obvious it didn’t bear a comment, it turned out there was need of a reminder. Seriously – even if you’re self-publishing an e-book, make the best book you can. This is a little detail known as “being remarkable.” Seth Godin reminds us in Purple Cow how little it takes to be remarkable. That’s what I’m suggesting here – sparkle as an SBM* by standing out from the crowd and delivering a truly kick-ass product.
Here’s the caveat: It’s make the best book YOU can … not necessarily the best book in the world. Remember our recent mantra for perfectionists: DONE IS BETTER THAN PERFECT.
Here are the components that go into a quality self-published book:
- A good topic and strong writing
- Professional editing
- Professional graphics and illustrations, when appropriate
- Professional front and back cover design
- Professional layout and page design
- Professional typesetting
- A logo for your publishing company (that does not in any way reference your name)
- ISBN and barcode
- LCCN (Library of Congress Control Number – if you intend to sell to libraries)
- Publishing date
- Table of contents
- Header/footer with page numbers
- A well-thought-out index, if necessary
- A glossary of terms, if appropriate
- A bibliography of referenced sources, if appropriate
- An appendix of ancillary materials, if appropriate
- Blurbs for your cover (and inside front pages) from experts and people well-esteemed in your subject matter
If you have anything to add to this list, please do so in the COMMENTS section.
Anyone can write and publish a book, but it takes time, effort, money, and commitment to publish a remarkable book. There are just no two ways around it: the better your book, the easier it will be to market. This is not a guarantee that it will sell, but it will leave you towering above all the other books out there in an ever-more-crowded market.
See you Monday!
*Savvy Book Marketer
Visit Write | Market | Design to download your Marketing Skills Evaluation. This will help you determine how close you are to SBM status, and where you may need a little extra boost.
We welcome and encourage your thoughtful, courteous comments below.
If you’d like us to add a link to your writing/self-publishing/book marketing blog, please send us a note. If we think it’s a good fit, we’ll be happy to add you. Of course, we’d appreciate the reciprocity of the same!
Additionally, Marcie would be happy to make a guest appearance on your writing/self-publishing/book marketing blog. Just let us know the theme or your idea (preferably including a 6-panel concept), and we’ll see what we can draft for you.