The majority of book bloggers are female … and other interesting blogging stats
At long last, we’re moving on from our general conversation about social media to more specifics about some of the more popular platforms. Because it is perhaps the oldest and, in my opinion, one of the most powerful social mediums, we’re going to start with blogging.
Just for clarification, a blog (short for Web log) is “kind of a continual tour, with a human guide who you get to know. There are many guides to choose from [and] each develops an audience. [T]here’s also camaraderie and politics between the people who run weblogs; they point to each other, in all kinds of structures, graphs, loops, etc.” Definition by userland.com.
The first blogs began in the early 90s, but the Web and blogs really took off in 1996. Today there are between 152 million and 175 million blogs on the Internet. Companies that blog receive as much as 55 percent more web traffic than non-blogging companies.
The following are some blogging statistics, broken into three categories:
(1) Blog Reader Stats, (2) Blogger Stats, and (3) Book Blogger Stats.
NOTE: While I typically follow many AP style rules for my blog posts, I am breaking a central one today in the interest of clarity: I will start sentences with Arabic numerals, simply because it’s easier.
BLOG READER STATS
- American Internet users spend three times as many minutes on blogs and social networks as they do on e-mail.
- Most people read between five and 10 blogs.
- More people read blogs in the morning, with 10 a.m. being the peak time for reading.
- Blog posts influence consumer purchasing, affecting things such as: helping consumers discover products and services; refining choices; providing support and answers; offering reassurance; helping consumers decide on a purchase; inspiring purchases; and executing purchases.
- Consumer trust in blogs is growing, with people almost as likely to look to blogs for information as they do to magazines and newspapers.
- Consumers are nearly as likely to share info they find on a blog as from a newspaper or magazine, and more likely to share blog info than info from a social media site.
- Bloggers tend to be young (typically between 25 and 44) and highly educated (75 percent have a college degree and another 40 percent have started or completed a graduate degree). Two-thirds are male. More than half are married; more than half are parents.
- 86 percent have been blogging at least a year.
- Each maintains an average of 3 blogs.
- 40 percent spend 3+ hours a week on their blogs.
- 65 percent follow brands on social media and most regularly blog about the brands they follow.
- Bloggers spend an average of 10 to 12 hours a week on social media sites.
- 90+ percent of bloggers use Facebook to promote their blogs; 80+ percent use Twitter.
- 70 percent say that personal satisfaction is one way they measure their blog’s success.
- 72 percent say they blog in order to share their expertise.
- 63 percent say that blogging has led them to become more involved with things they’re passionate about.
- 42 percent have become friends with someone they’ve met in person through their blog.
- 35 percent plan to one day publish a book.
- Higher ranked bloggers post nearly 300 times more often than lower ranked bloggers.
- 59 percent use a free third-party hosting service.
- 20 percent report having updated their blog or added content from their mobile device.
- 70 percent talk about brands on their blog organically.
BOOK BLOGGER STATS
The following statistics come from a survey of 300 book bloggers conducted by the Biblio blog. The results were originally posted May 17, 2010.
- 83 percent of book bloggers are female.
- 40 percent have literature/writing-related degrees; 43 percent took college courses but did not have writing/literature-related degrees; 16 percent have only studied literature at the elementary, middle, or high school level.
- 41 percent have jobs related to literature and/or writing.
- 86 percent have no affiliation to a publisher, bookseller, or other literary entity.
- 73 percent view their blog as a “review blog,” with 14 percent explicitly pointing out that their blog does NOT post reviews.
- 31 percent of book blogs are genre specific.
- 51 percent of book bloggers post reviews 6 or more times per month.
- 61 percent do not participate in book tours; the other 39 percent participate to varying degrees.
- Only 31 percent of book bloggers belong to book clubs.
- 34 percent never do book giveaways; the remaining 66 percent do, to varying degrees. 35 percent give away ARCs (advance reading copies) and 49 percent give away personal copies of books.
- 71 percent do not own any kind of eReader. [Of all the statistics, this one surprised me the most.]
Here is someone’s list of the Top 50 book blogs. I do not endorse the blogs on the list, nor can I be certain all links work.
Download your complimentary copy of the highly useful Website Design & Marketing worksheet from Write | Market | Design.
We welcome and encourage your thoughtful, courteous comments below.
If you’d like us to add a link to your writing/self-publishing/book marketing blog, please send us a note. If we think it’s a good fit, we’ll be happy to add you. Of course, we’d appreciate the reciprocity of the same!
Additionally, Marcie would be happy to make a guest appearance on your writing/self-publishing/book marketing blog. Just let us know the theme or your idea (preferably including a 6-panel concept), and we’ll see what we can draft for you.